Oct 29, 2012

The city of light

...in black and white.


Last Thursday, at an unreasonably early hour, we left the city sometimes referred to as "the northern Paris" for the real and original Paris.


In Paris we gawked at the beautiful buildings and the always mesmerizing Seine. There really is something magical about walking by it's bank and pretending to be a part of the chic city.


The first day was exceptionally long. We came in early, left our baggage at the hotel and went for lunch at a bistro nearby. We walked around the neighborhood and spontaneously bought tickets for a ballet that same evening, then we hurried home to change and leave for the Opera. When we came back after midnight the view from our room was the one above, not to shabby if I may say so myself.


Our second day in Paris was spent on the Seine. I know it's touristy but it was actually really great to get an overview of the city at the same time as you rest your feet and get the chance to talk and talk. Not to mention that you get to see all the really beautiful bridges they have, man some people really know how to cross water in style!


While looking for a place to eat we suddenly discovered we were right outside the Centre Pompidou which I'd never seen before, so again we stopped and gawked at the insanely cool building. This is actually one of the things I regret we didn't do, go inside. Next time...


Sunday was museum day and I'm not kidding you when I say my neck hurt almost as much as my feet after hours and hours of walking up and down the paintings area at the Louvre looking both at the paintings and the building - and the ceilings, I mean, wow! I could have spent days in there, specially if I could have kicked everybody else out, imagine walking around alone in peace and quiet just being amazed. Then we had the unfortunate incident of me loosing my ticket while we were out getting something to eat but I don't want to think about that and how typical of me that is...


Anyways, moving on to something that doesn't make me want to punch myself in the face... After walking for hours at the Louvre we were fortunate enough to come out to sunshine and summer, well at least it felt like summer to us coming from the cold north! We sat looking at the Concord and the Arc de Triomphe from the Tuileries gardens and the next day, just hours before boarding our plane home we sat at a café in Montmartre enjoying the breathtaking view and calling ourselves the luckies girls in France!

No comments:

Post a Comment